When you start on a journey of self-transformation the root chakra is probably the most important chakra because it is the foundation stone of the whole system. What does this mean? Read on and find out.
Let’s start with the subtle system and chakras. Our bodies are the physical manifestation of an energy system that we can call the ‘subtle system’. This system is made up of chakras and channels around which the energy flows, and in doing so, this energy controls our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. Everything about us and our wellbeing is looked after here. The chakras are spinning wheels of energy (chakra meaning wheel in Sanskrit) that correspond to nerve plexuses in the physical body. Each chakra has unique and innate characteristics but if the chakra is blocked and unable to spin correctly then these characteristics can’t manifest properly resulting in a diminished personality, lower mental health and potential sickness.
The Root Chakra, also known as the Mooladhara Chakra, is the first chakra at the base of the system, corresponding on the physical level to the organs of sex and excretion. The chakra is placed in front of the sacral bone, which houses the sacred Kundalini energy, protecting it. The characteristics of this chakra are Innocence, Wisdom and Discrimination. There are also 4 petals on this chakra and it is made out of the carbon molecule. This chakra is the essence of our existence and it cannot be destroyed, but it can become blocked. When it is cleared we manifest innocence and wisdom and we are in the present moment – just like children.
The root chakra is red in colour and said to correspond to the hibiscus flower and also to various crystals. Rubies in particular can be be used to cleanse this chakra as the noble qualities of this gem are a great match to the energies of this chakra.
Cleansing our Chakras is more important than ever
There’s so many things in modern life that are attacking our root chakras and its qualities so it’s very likely by the time we become adults we feel we have lost our sense of innocence, but luckily that cannot happen. There are many signs that you are under attack. Maybe you feel uncomfortable with the content of TV programmes these days or the messages pushed by the government and advertising. Maybe your child is coming home from school and telling you about things they are being taught that don’t feel appropriate or even accurate for children to learn. Maybe you are trying to accept what your university professor has taught you but something deep inside makes you feel depressed about it. Or do you feel uncomfortable at work with all the corporate messages that you have to endorse nowadays in order to feel like a ‘virtuous person’? These are all important signs from your Spirit telling you what is wrong and bad for you. You shouldn’t ignore them and accept untruths blindly.
Your root chakra gives you the qualities of wisdom and discrimination so it’s telling you to reject the parts of modern life that are propagating untruths and harming your subtle system. You need to learn how to cleanse these harmful messages from your psyche and an awakened root chakra can do this for you. I hope you will start an inner journey to find Absolute Truth.
Here is a short meditation that can help you with that journey.
- Light a candle and sit comfortably, preferably on the ground so that the root chakra can be closer to the Mother Earth, which has a cleansing effect on our chakras.
- Close your eyes and place your palms face upwards on your lap. Place your attention on the base of your spine, to where you are making contact with the ground (or your seat, if in a chair). Hold your attention there for a few minutes and every time your attention wanders away, gently bring it back to this chakra.
- Inside yourself to your own Spirit, say the affirmation: Please make me more innocent or please let me be more innocent. Please give me wisdom and discrimination. Say it 4 times.
- Continue to sit with your attention on this chakra for a while. Then after a few minutes, guide your attention up through the centre of your body to the crown of the head. If you can’t do that easily, you can use your right hand and lift it slowly in front of you from the base of your spine to the top of your head. Do this 7 times.
- Then take your right hand and place it firmly on the top of your head and press down. Hold it there for a few minutes so that your attention stays there.
- Move your hand back to your lap and keep your attention at the top of your head and sit quietly like this for a few more minutes.
- Slowly open your eyes – hopefully everything will look brighter and you will be feeling more relaxed and energised.
Try this at home and let me know if this works for you! Better still try out our Ruby Root Chakra Crystal Candle with a ruby gemstone inside. It's scented with frankincense serrata, a prized resin known for its cleansing qualities - especially for this chakra.